Subject: Re: No buffer space available
To: pwain@nc.com <pwain@nc.com>
From: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/20/1998 14:00:50
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, pwain@nc.com wrote:

> >From looking at this quickly it sounds exactly like mbuf exhaustion. I believe
> these are fixed in number (they were under the RiscOS port of the BSD
> networking code :) [1]

They seem to be set to a very low number by default unless NetBSD is first
and foremost a single user client OS.

> I dont recall how, when I was looking at this area of NetBSD, I changed it
> (there is a config option or rather a way to get config to do it) - but I know
> I ran a machine for a while that was just a network client with 64 mbufs.

I would have thought that such a crucial option (given that the default
number severely cripples the machine as a server) would be easily
alterable.

> Sounds like you need to find the default current amount and double it (or if
> you're short on memory add a few - remember they are statically allocated!).
>
> A good place to start looking would be sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c

Looked in sys/sys/mbuf.h and sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c. I've also looked in a
lot of the headers referred to and can't find anything obvious, but then
I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

Stephen Borrill