Subject: Re: Shark power-bricks, UC3842 is a Unitrode part
To: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/17/1998 22:53:21
On Tue 14 Jul, Steve Woodford wrote:
> Anyhow, replacing these parts did the trick for me; there were no other
> dead components on the board:
>
> 	U1	UC3842P
> 		The nearest I could find was a Motorola part: UC3842AN

FYI, this is a Unitrode part. It is a "Current Mode PWM Controller",
and is documented in the "Linear and integrated Circuits Data and
Applications Handbook". I have a copy of this book which I received
in January 1991 from the Norwegian representative for Unitrode
Integrated Circuits Corporation. It was printed in April 1990.

And, yes, it would blow if connected directly to the mains. It's
absolute maximum input power is 30V. :-)

I hope this is of interest to someone, if not, I have wasted your
time. In that case I apologize.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/