Subject: Shark power-bricks
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/14/1998 18:49:59
Greetings,

This evening I finally fixed the power-brick for one of my Sharks. It went
completely dead a few weeks ago, and I've slowly been checking each
component out to find the culprit. I thought I'd share my findings in case
anyone else has a similar experience. (cgd told me these power-bricks are
prone to failure).

Basically, it looks like the main MOSFET (Q1) goes for a Burton, and takes
the switching regulator (U1) with it. Hardly surprising really, since the
MOSFET failing can potentially expose U1 to full-wave rectified mains...
I'm just amazed the fuse didn't blow.

Anyhow, replacing these parts did the trick for me; there were no other
dead components on the board:

	U1	UC3842P
		The nearest I could find was a Motorola part: UC3842AN
	Q1	IRF840
		Common or garden power MOSFET.

As usual, don't hold me responsible if you do yourself an injury while
poking around inside these things. There's about 335vdc floating around in
them when running on European mains, even after switching off! You have
been warned!

Cheers, Steve