Subject: Re: Added users have no home directory?
To: Dave Millen <dmill@globalnet.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/10/1998 10:55:49
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Dave Millen wrote:

> Salutations
>
> I have a newly installed 1.3.2 system which works fine, but I can't
> add users successfully :(
>
> The user is added, but is unable to login and it is not possible to su
> to the user! When attempting to login, the message

> even though the directory exists.
>
> This occurs whether the user is added manually by editing /etc/passwd,
> creating the home directory and running pwd_mkdb or added using the
> adduser script(which creates the home directory correctly) - and the
> location of the new home directory does not seem to make any
> difference.
>
> I should point out that since I have an ICS IDE interface in my
> machine, I am using one of the test kernels posted by Mark a while ago
> - I don't know if this has any bearing

	can you 'cd ~user' from a root shell?
	Does the user own the homedir, and what are the permissions on
	it, and each entry in the path (does the user have read and
	execute permissions on all, plus write on the homedir).

		David/absolute

	  -=-  Maybe your misinterpretation of my actions is
	      in conflict with your misconception of who I am  -=-