Subject: Re: shark
To: David Chaiken <chaiken@pa.dec.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/30/1998 09:52:51
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:01:02 -0700
 chaiken@pa.dec.com (David Chaiken) wrote:

 > While I'm posting, I'd like to apologize publicly for the ISA DMA mess.
 > At least I documented the horrible hacks: see arm32/isa_machdep.c.

Heh... in the code that I'm hoping to commit soon'ish, I have cleaned
it up a lot, actually.  The stuff that asks OpenFirmware for DMA-safe
memory is gone, replaced by a more generalized method for protecting
the DMA ranges in the VM system (see my post to tech-kern about multiple
free lists).

I've also generalized it somewhat so that once platform-specific code
has defined the DMA ranges, the code that deals w/ DMA ranges and DMA
safe memory is the same... i.e. can be shared by code for the CATS board,
etc.

 > Bunging an ISA bus on the side of a StrongARM is the root cause of
 > some of these hacks.  In defense of this architecture, note that shark
 > went from a blank sheet of paper to its first trade show in 6 months.
 > Shark achieved its target: $300 bill of materials with the same
 > performance as a 166 MHz Pentium (quite good at this time last year).

Yah, don't worry... I think all of us think the machine is Too Cool
enough to forgive you for whatever hacks had to be done to make it work :-)

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939