Subject: Re: Funai SHARK
To: paul <pwain@nc.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/29/1998 14:04:32
> Unless they've done some tweaking to the free source recently this isnt
> really true. The Rev4 board (for some reason) has some "artifact" problems
> (hence the Rev5 board) due to (amongst other things) the keyboard and mouse
> i/o systems - we did notice some differences between the Funai and DEC PCB
> layouts however that partially fix this.

So, from what I understand: there were a couple of relatively minor,
unfixed bugs in the C&T X code used on rev4 boards, but nothing major.

The primary reason that a new graphics chip was used for Rev5 was
video performance.

FWIW, if you try to use a too-high video/pixel clock on the Rev4's you'll
end up with some visual garbage, too, but that's because you're using
too high a clock speed.  8-)

> The rev5 boards also have some video problems with X11.

Not just with X11; it's a generic hardware problem, and can be seen at
text/firmware prompts.  There is rework which can be applied to fix
it.

cgd