Subject: Re: bus_dma back-end for Shark
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/29/1998 10:43:26
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:28:11 -0400 (EDT)
 Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> wrote:

 > Mmm!  The Shark uses a MD version of the sequoia driver; does the MI version
 > of that one work as well?

Err, the Sequoia is the core logic chip... That is going to be MD by its
very nature :-)

The CS8900 driver is NOT yet MI, but it is using the MI isadma code to
do its work (err, in my tree, that is :-)

 > : There are still a few buglets, in particular the old Shark isadma driver
 > : programs loop mode differently than the MI driver does, and I think that
 > : might be causing me some problems... but after a half-day's hacking, this
 > : isn't too bad, and it will allow us to use the new ESS driver when Lennart
 > : is finished with it :-)

...and, FWIW, I fixed this by adding a new LOOPDEMAND mode to the MI
isadma driver :-)

 > The sb driver can be used in the meantime, as the ess can be used as a
 > sb-clone....  (what does the ess offer over sb in its "native" mode?)

Oh, ok... I'll add an sb_ofisa, then, and then eventually we can add
an ess_ofisa which returns a higher match priority than sb_ofisa.

I don't honestly know what an ESS native mode offers over SB emulation.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939