Subject: Re: 2 stupid questions
To: teich-p <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/29/1998 18:18:17
> 1.) How do I compile a kernel? I downloaded the kernel sources, but found no
> desription how to do that.

In brief:

	cd /usr/src/sys/arch/arm32/conf
	cp GENERIC NAME
where NAME is traditionally the name of your computer in capital letters,
then edit NAME ("man options" can be quite handy)
	config NAME
	cd ../compile/NAME
	make depend && make
	mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
	mv netbsd /
	shutdown -r now
to reboot your computer with the new kernel.

> 2.) Is there a special program to decompress those .pkg files to the
> destinatio directory? Until now I decompressed them to a temp directory,
> looked where they belong, and copied them to the destination.

Pass! I thought you ended up with a tree below /usr/pkg ...

Good luck,

Patrick