Subject: Re: Funai SHARK
To: Jim Wise <jwise@unicast.com>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/28/1998 17:57:25
Jim Wise wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> >BTW - I think the Funai Shark uses a different video chip than the
> >Rev 5 DNARD that I have, so one gotcha might be the X server, although
> >I suspect that XFree86 will support the chip.
>
> Yeah, the Funai shark is a DNARD Rev4, so it has a CT65550, instead of
> the chip in the Rev5.  FWIW, the XF86 support for the CT65550 works
> great on the x86, so I'm hopeful that this won't be too much trouble...

The DEC X server did work with the 65550, and AFAIK current ones still
do. The reason for going from the 65550 to the IGS was that the
performanceof it *sucked* extremely badly---it wasn't that it had any
display defects or anything. AFAIR it couldn't even drive bog-standard
(not the new cool 10)MHz stuff) EDO well enough to get a decent pixel
clock.

--
Neil A. Carson