Subject: Re: Funai SHARK
To: Chris Rijk <chris@ivision.co.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/27/1998 14:25:31
On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:15:46 +0100 (BST)
 Chris Rijk <chris@ivision.co.uk> wrote:

 > Are Funai offering any HD options?

I would guess they are offering a ZIP option, since the DNARD specified
such an opion, but that I can't be sure of.

Personally, I'm planning on putting a 3G IDE disk in an external case,
and routing an IDE cable outside of one of my Sharks (and I'll probably use
it to netboot the rest :-)

 > btw, their NC website's at:
 > http://www.funaiusa.com/
 > Though it doesn't seem to have been updated in several months - they
 > still haven't modded the page to say the Shark comes with 32MB RAM.

I'm also curious if their 7500 model will run NetBSD... They're local
to me (in Santa Clara, CA), so I'm going to ring them up and see if I
can get a couple of these machines to play with.

(Seeing as how we put their product spec sheet up at the NetBSD vendor
display at USENIX, and apparently generated some interest in their
product, perhaps they'll be nice to us :-)

BTW - I think the Funai Shark uses a different video chip than the
Rev 5 DNARD that I have, so one gotcha might be the X server, although
I suspect that XFree86 will support the chip.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939