Subject: Re: Funai SHARK
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Rijk <chris@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/27/1998 22:15:46
On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Jim Wise wrote:

>Well, I have one of these coming in this week to play with, and I was
>wondering if there are any gotchas I should look out for with this model
>versus digital's model.

Not having used either, I could only guess, but considering what I
know about them, I suspect it should be very similar.

What OS options are they offering these days - last I talked to them
they had several, and also different prices for different levels of
support.

>Also, note that Funai has these boxes _damn_ cheap right now.  List
>proce is $455.00, and a co-worker and I got two showroom models for
>$385.00 _total_ (plus shipping)...

Are they mass producing them yet? (If they were selling 10,000's a
month, they could probably get the price down quite a bit more...)

Cheaper than Corel's SA NC at least - they're $700 (though that's with
a 800Mb HD) see:
http://www.corelcomputer.com/products/netwinder_ws.htm

Are Funai offering any HD options?

btw, their NC website's at:
http://www.funaiusa.com/
Though it doesn't seem to have been updated in several months - they
still haven't modded the page to say the Shark comes with 32MB RAM.

--
| Dictionary of Alternative Meanings: gambling                               |