Subject: Faster softfloat
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/25/1998 23:43:36
Hi,
  Neil Hoggarth was pointing out that the 1.2G shared libc was a lot
faster than the current one on floating point. These reason was the actual
code used. The 1.2G build used the ARM fplibrary whilst all
standard NetBSD builds use the standard C sources in the NetBSD tree.
Anyway I have built a new version of libc.so.12.26 from 19980606 snapshot
sources but with the ARM fplibrary instead. The resulting library is
available as a snapshot at

ftp.netbsd.org:
/ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/snapshot/19980606.UVM/arm_fplib/libc.so.12.26.gz

Those of you into benchmarks may like to give this a go.

Since the sources for this versions of the fplibrary are not available it
will not be used in standard builds of NetBSD but if folks think that the
extra fp speed is really useful then I will make versions of libc
available as and when I do new builds of NetBSD.

Cheers,
				Mark