Subject: Re: SHARK info?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/17/1998 21:04:12
Erik E. Fair wrote:

> At 16:02 -0700 6/16/98, Neil A. Carson wrote:
>
> >Not that there's much point in MPEG-under-NetBSD anyway :)
>
> Why not? Does the CPU have enough crunch? Does the RAM and I/O have the
> bandwidth? If so, then (subject to some fiddling of the scheduler to get
> real-time response), we should be able to do a software decode of MPEG...

My main point as regards MPEG and MPEG2, was, well who'd want to use it
anyway? I'd sooner watch a video on my video/dvd/laserdisc, not on a
computer. The real-time stuff won't be needed as long as only one
process (or tightly coupled ones that aren't tsleep-hungry) is/are
running.

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson