Subject: UVM and top
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Timothy Coltman <timothy.coltman@unn.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/16/1998 09:46:53
Hello,

I'm using a combination of 1.3-alpha, 1.3.2 and the UVM snapshots. It
seems to work fine(ish) apart from the following:

1. top doesn't work. It complains about something called _cnt when doing
a _kvm_read (or similar, anyway, it won't work). I've rebuilt the kvm.db
file using kvm_mkdb and it doesn't make the slightest difference. I've
noticed that top is in /usr/local/bin and the snapshots don't include
(AFAIK) this directory. Is this the problem? Can I fix top by just
recompiling it again, and if so, will it compile properly? (I've tried to
compile top and xosview (which I think includes bits of top) and they
don't work).

2. I get a lot more kernel panics, notably when I change virtual
consoles: this morning, I was compiling the KDE games package and
configuring the KDE graphics package and I pressed ALT-F2 to see how the
config was going and I got a lovely kernel panic. This is the third time
it's happened since yesterday afternoon. Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks for any assistance.

tim