Subject: Re: Some minor snapshot 980606 problems
To: Leo Smiers <L.Smiers@cable.A2000.nl>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/14/1998 17:53:03
On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Leo Smiers wrote:

> Hello All

Hi,

I'll try and answer these questions, but not having had much time for unix
recently I'm a bit behind on things...

> Today I have installed the snapshot dd 19980606. It seems to work but I still
> have some small questions:
>
> 1 During bootup I get the following warning:
> 	WARNING: no swap space configured.
>   I think I have to add a line to the /etc/fstab file but I am not sure how
>   the line should be. If I add:
>   	/dev/wd1b none swap
>   I get complaints about the format. So what should it be?

I think it tells you the format in man fstab, I don't know it, but I guess
that you need a number after swap for the swaps priority...

> 2 Also during bootup I get the warning:
> 	savecore: can't find device 0/0
>   How can I resolve this? This is an error I have since 1.3_ALPHA.

Have you got /netbsd the same as your boot kernel?

> 3 If I try 'vmstat' I get the following errors:
> 	vmstat: no drives attached
> 	vmstat: time makes no sense; namelist must be wrong
>   I boot with the RISCPC_uvm kernel version 3F and have also linked /netbsd to
>   this image.

Perhaps you've still got an old copy of vmstat, or you didn't untar the
files with the p options to preserve permissions and it needs to be
suid...

> 4 And finaly, in the directory /usr/lib are some newer shared libraries
>   installed. These have a higher version number than the previous ones, eg:
> 	old: libamu.so.0.0
> 	new: libamu.so.0.1
>   I wonder if I can remove the old versions or do I have to keep them to run
>   programs that expect these old versions.

You should be able to, most libraries are backwards compatible, and all
your new binaries will expect the new libs.

Cheers,
Chris