Subject: Re: Problems building top and xosview packages with UVM current
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/07/1998 23:47:56
On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Mike Pumford wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've managed without to much difficulty to get by system upgraded to
> current and move over to UVM. This was fairly painless and has yielded a
> marginal but useful speed increase.
>
> I have however found some problems building the xosview-1.6.0 and
> top-3.5beta7 packages via pkgsrc
>
> The top build fails as follows:
> cc "-DOSREV=13E" -DHAVE_GETOPT -DORDER -DHAVE_GETOPT -O -DUVM -c machine.c
> machine.c: In function `get_system_info':
> machine.c:354: `VM_UVMEXP' undeclared (first use this function)
> machine.c:354: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> machine.c:354: for each function it appears in.)
> *** Error code 1
>
> The xosview build fails as follows:
> c++ -O -O -Wall -O4 -pipe -I/usr/X11R6.3/include
> -I/usr/src/pkgsrc/sysutils/xosview/work/xosview-1.6.0
> -I/usr/src/pkgsrc/sysutils/xosview/work/xosview-1.6.0/netbsd
> -DXOSVIEW_NETBSD=1 -DUVM=1 -DHAVE_SWAPCTL=1 -DHAVE_USLEEP=1 -I.. -c
> memmeter.cc -o memmeter.o
> memmeter.cc: In method `void MemMeter::getmeminfo()':
> memmeter.cc:91: aggregate `struct uvmexp kvm_uvm_exp' has incomplete type
> and cannot be initialized
> memmeter.cc:92: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
> *** Error code 1
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get these packages to
> build and should I generate PR's
To quote Perry the other day

> you need a UVM userland to run happily with UVM...

Whilst you can run a UVM kernel with older userland you really need
to upgrade your userland and various VM data structures are different with
UVM.
for example VM_UVMEXP will be found in /usr/include/vm/vm_param.h if your
includes are current.

I am just uploading a new userland snapshot built with UVM and expect this
to be on the ftp site later today. This will give you new includes,
libraries and binaries e.g. ps etc.

I'll post a notice when the upload is complete and then I would suggest
installing the UVM snapshot.

Cheers,
				Mark