Subject: Re: Getting networking working
To: Roger Lynn <roger@compsoc.man.ac.uk>
From: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/05/1998 08:47:19
> I think the basic problem is that we don't appear to have any ethernet
> devices in /dev. The installation instructions say that support for all

I don't have one in /dev either - I'm fairly sure none of the network
devices are expected there

> ethernet cards is compiled in. I tried compiling my own kernel using the
> 1.3 sources, but got an error in disassem.c, which apparently has been

I seem to remember that if you look at disassem.c, you'll find that the
offending line has an extra component on the end - I deleted from my tree
and it worked...

> fixed in 1.3.2. However the supplied 1.3.2 (and 1.3.1) kernel binaries
> hang immediately after changing mode after displaying all the coloured
> bars. I haven't tried compiling the 1.3.2 sources yet.

I've not tried them yet, but Mark made a couple of new kernels available
last night, I think, which may help.

> Where do I get an ethernet device from? All the advice I have received
> so far appears to assume that we have an eh0 or ne0 device.
> When booting up the kernel says it is configuring the network interfaces:.
> It then says that the network is unreachable.

I seem to remember that I've *NEVER* had a kernel with a working eh0
device, because I started building -current after the ne0 driver had been
introduced.   When I installed my system, the 1.3 kernels did not
appear to have any support for eh0 built in.  At boot up, way before the
configuring network interfaces bit, you should see messages (without the
datestamp) like:

Jun  3 11:50:17 flossy /netbsd: podulebus0 (root)
Jun  3 11:50:17 flossy /netbsd: netslot0 at podulebus0 : I-Cubed :
etherlan 600A
 network slot interface : Acorn Risc PC/A7000 interface <A9> i-cubed ltd,
EtherL
an 600A (00:
Jun  3 11:50:17 flossy /netbsd: ne0 at podulebus0 [ netslot 0 ]: EtherLan
600A e
thernet
Jun  3 11:50:17 flossy /netbsd: ne0: Ethernet address 00:c0:32:00:8a:7f
Jun  3 11:50:18 flossy /netbsd: ne0: using 10Base2/BNC

I've copied this in from /var/log/messages, here.  This is the kernel
itself checking to see what interfaces are present in the machine (as far
as I'm aware), and when it gets to the "configuring interfaces" stage it
is just running the "netstart" script, which in turn relies on your
/etc/ifconfig.ne0 file.  If your kernel isn't doing this, try one of the
kernels that Mark supplied last night.  There were some built just after
the ne0 driver was put in (around March 23rd ISTR), which I know to work.
Also, I have several kernels which I can let you have, if need be.  (One
of which has just built after supping -current last night.)

Another possible point is in your /etc/rc.conf file, what is the variable
auto_ifconfig set to?  Mine is YES, which causes it to search for all the
/etc/ifconfig.xxx files it can find.

Have fun,
David.