Subject: Re: Q: ARM32 ABI
To: Philip Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/04/1998 14:02:08
> >> Actually, if you use soft-float emulation there's no real need to
> >> stick with  this format.
> >
> >Except for the fact that the compiler and all the other binary tools know
> >this.
>
> I think only `endian()' in gcc needs to know.  Do the other tools care at all?
> I can't think of any case where the assembler or linker manipulate floating
> constants - we don't have any relocs relating to them.
>
> p.

Assembler has .double, though gcc doesn't make use of it (to ensure
accuracy is preserved).
GDB of course has to understand the various fp formats.

The C libraries probably do some munging as well (particularly for atod
and dtoa and the like).

I don't think trying to change the ABI like this is a wise idea,
especially since there would be no performance gain from doing so.

R.