Subject: Re: Q: ARM32 ABI
To: Godmar Back <gback@cs.utah.edu>
From: Philip Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/04/1998 10:00:08
>* Does the arm software floating point emulation use IEEE-754?
>
>    In particular, I need to implement a function that turns a double number
>    into its IEEE 754 floating-point "double format" bit layout, where
>    Bit 63 represents the sign of the floating-point number.  Bits 62-52
>    represent the exponent.  Bits 51-0 represent the significand (sometimes
>    called the mantissa) of the floating-point number.

Almost.  On the ARM the layout of double precision numbers is strange; the two
words are the opposite way around to what you'd expect.  I think this is an
artifact from using a big-endian floating point unit on a little-endian
processor.

Actually, if you use soft-float emulation there's no real need to stick with
this format.

p.