Subject: Re: make obj
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/02/1998 11:57:04
Patrick Welche wrote:

> Well, without trying to do anything fancy, in /usr/src I did a
> make cleandir && make obj && make build
> I didn't think I had to do anything else for the obj directories to
> get used - and they really are all empty, not just some of them.

Well acording to /usr/src/share/mk.bsd.README
BSDSRCDIR       The real path to the system sources, so that 'make obj'
                will work correctly. [/usr/src]

BSDOBJDIR       The real path to the system 'obj' tree, so that 'make obj'
                will work correctly. [/usr/obj]

It does read like the default is to use them but I know that the build I did
just placed the .o files in the source directory and I can't see anything else
that relates to it in that file. I do recommend using DESTDIR when doing make
build since it allows you to try out the new binary before installing them
with a make install.

Perhaps current-users might have something to say on this subject.

Mike