Subject: Re: Getting networking working
To: Roger Lynn <roger@compsoc.man.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/01/1998 11:06:41
Roger Lynn wrote:

> My brother and I have just installed RiscBSD 1.3 on his A7000+. We are
> using 1.3 as the precompiled 1.3.1 A7000 kernel crashes before doing
> anything. We would like to get networking working (using the I-cubed
> EtherLan 600 card) but have no idea how to do this. Running the configure
> program after finishing the installation asks for a hostname, but doesn't
> appear to do anything else. What should we do now? We can't find any
> appropriate instructions on any of the ftp sites.

Well it's fairly straightforward. You need to set up a file called
/etc/ifconfig.eh0 which contains something like the following:

inet 192.168.1.2

You should replace 192.168.1.2 with the IP address that you want for the
machine. It should be noted that this assumes the old EtherH driver. If you
download one of the newer kernels the EtherH interface name has changed to
ne0  since it it now supported using the generic NetBSD ne2000 driver. In this
case you the file you need to create should be called /etc/ifconfig.ne0.

One other thing to note is that both of the EtherH drivers required that the
card has been configured for use under RISC OS before they will work
correctly. As the author of the updated EtherH driver and having found some
free time again I'm in the process of tracking this down.

HTH

Mike