Subject: Re: Installing on SCSI-III card
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Neil Farnham-Smith <neil@alsystems.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/26/1998 21:01:24
On Tue 26 May, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I'll just point out (as an aside) that 1.3A is ANCIENT....
>
> .pm
>
> Matthew Willcock writes:
> > I've been trying to re-install NetBSD-1.3A on my 1Gb SCSi
> > disc connected to  a Alsystems SCSI card,  the kernel strats
> > and gets as far as recognising the scsi card, but hen hangs
> > as it trys to find the targets on the scsi bus.
> >
> > Any ideas why it does this, I really need to install NetBSD
> > again.

Hi all,

As far as I know the SCSI drivers included with RiscBSD have only
been written for the SCSI II v1.0x and v2.0x hardware.

The SCSI III card is much later than the drivers, and so they may
not be fully compatible for installation.

Saying that, our copy of RiscBSD runs happily from a Ultra SCSI
III v2.0x card and 1GB IBM drive.

I have not tested it with our Ultra SCSI III v3.01 board design,
as this has only recently been launched.

On a better point, our developer does have the latest version of
RiscBSD, and will *look into the possibility* of finishing the
existing driver or writing new drivers for RiscBSD to support the
Power-tec range of products (including PowerROM).

He may need help, so if anyone has some time who also has
experence of using RiscBSD with our card can offer direct e-mail
support to our developer then please e-mail me.

Regards Neil...
--
Neil Farnham-Smith                     Technical Support Engineer
neil@alsystems.co.uk                   http://www.alsystems.co.uk

    47 Winchester Road, Four Marks, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 5HG
    Telephone: +44 (0)1420 561111      Fax: +44 (0)1420 561100