Subject: Re: Argh! RiscBSD has Died!!
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/09/1998 01:04:01
On Sat, 9 May 1998, Mike Pumford wrote:

> On Thu, 7 May 1998, Karl@University wrote:
>
> > Righto, this has probably been asked before, but I've been away from the
> > list for _ages_
> >
> > I just installed an I^3 ethernet card (it claims it is an etherlan 600).
> > RiscOS works outta the box. Ok, so fire up BSD. The boot gets as far as
> > 'checking network interfaces' and then hangs the machine (power off time)
> >
> You need to place the line ehbug in your bootloader options or as an
> alternative upgrade to one of the current kernels on the web site as thy
> have a much improved driver for the i-cubed Etherlan600(EtherH) cards.

Hmm,
   The ehbug option should only be needed it you are getting lockups when
the kernel is probing the ethernet interface, If the interface has been
found and the kernel as started user binaries then I would not expect the
problem the ehbug option fixes to the the cause.

Certainly I would recommend trying a more recent kernel which has the new
etherH driver built in. The only problem at the mo I notice is that all
the more recent kernels (post 1.3.1) are normal runtime kernels rather
than install kernels. (I really must build a new set of -current
kernels)..

Is the system completely jammed ? Does the system respond to ATL-INSERT ?
This should drop you into the debugger if there is some life in the kernel
at all.

Cheers,
			Mark