Subject: Linkers.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/08/1998 18:29:52
I'm having some problems with ld... Building the ld in the tree results in
libgnumalloc not working (installing it and running grep, for example,
results in a core dump). If I link libgnumalloc with ld from the 1.3.1
comp set then it complains about not understanding the --whole-archive
argument. When I work round it (change --whole-archive/--no-whole-archive
to -Bforcearchive and change -shared to -Bshareable) the resulting
libgnumalloc works (for grep, at least). When I tried building the
binutils-2.9 plus patch sources with the 1.3.1 toolchain the resulting ld
crashes with 'Abort trap'. The ld in the tree seems to function for most
things, including everything outside the gnu part of the tree. My libg++
and libstdc++ seem not to work when I build them, and I don't seem to be
able to get KDE beta 4 to compile properly.

Which ld is supposed to work and what have I broken?

--
alex@hayward.u-net.com; xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk