Subject: Re: Revision K strongarms
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: William Gallafent <William.Gallafent@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/08/1998 00:20:36
On Thu, 7 May 1998, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> I will hereby volunteer to collect emails from people
> who are interested in replacing their chip with a new one.
> I will not take any action on this, but I can put the
> emails I get as a mailbox on my W3 pages or mail it to
> people who are interested.

I've already got a list of twelve people ... my intended strategy was to
go to Simtec and get a quote for replacing the chips with revision T
(latest?) ones, given a fair number of people who wanted the upgrade. I
asked Acorn, they said 100ukp for a replacement board.

> The email address to use is mailto:strongarm@thomassen.priv.no.
> I will filter that to a separate mailbox.

Fair enough ... here's the list of interested parties so far:

Steve Dicks <steve@starswan.demon.co.uk>
msabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Phil Radden <pjcr100@cam.ac.uk>
Chris Rutter <chris@fluff.org>
Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
Andrew Garrard <awg@art.co.uk>
"Kim G. S. OEyhus" <kim@iq.pvv.ntnu.no>
Ian Molton <mh120608@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk>
Joe Oldak <joe@various-artists.demon.co.uk>
Matthew Willcock <mwillc@euriskosoft.demon.co.uk>
Simon Levitt <S.Levitt@motiv.co.uk>
Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>

> I really feal sorry for those who have a buggy StrongARM,
> but if I were you, I would go and pester Intel about it.
> (FYI: Intel bought the StrongARM part of Digital.)

I haven't bought anything from them - I bought a card from Acorn. So I
thought it would be a better idea to bother acorn about it. If anyone has
any luck with intel I'm sure they'll let the mailing list know!

> I seem to remember that they replaced the bad Pentiums that
> had a math bug free of charge, but I may remember incorrectly.

I think you're right ... so it's probably worth a try. Probably easier,
though, to part with however much simtec charge for a chip swap - Neil
reckons this won't be too steep.

Cheers,

Bill