Subject: Re: Getting on the net with RiscBSD
To: Coltman Timothy <timothy.coltman@unn.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/03/1998 01:14:54
On Fri, 1 May 1998, Coltman Timothy wrote:

> I'm using RiscBSD 1.3 Alpha (with the 1.3.1 comp set (well, most of it
> anyway), on a 42mb SA-110. At the end of June, I leave university (sob)
> and will have to do without a nice high-speed connection to the Internet.

Bummer. :-)
> I intend to get connected to the net again ASAP from my RiscPC. I could
> use something like ANT's internet suite or the Acorn stuff but how easy
> is it to get connected using RiscBSD? Obviously you'll need an account at
> an ISP, internet software and the like (such as KDE), but what then? Or
> is it so complicated, it's not worth it?

Its not particularly tricky. You can find setup information for Demon
Internet on my web page:

http://www.black-star.demon.co.uk/

I'm in the process of making this more ISP neutral than it is now. It
should also be noted that the current information only covers the basic
connection and not the applications required to handle mail and news.

Mike