Subject: Re: State of RiscBSD, availability
From: Joe Oldak <joe@various-artists.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/01/1998 19:00:13
In <URL:news:local.riscbsd> on Thu 30 Apr, Neil A. Carson wrote:
> > - Is Netscape (or QTscape) available ? Is it free and/or available
> >   in executable form ? Is it fast enough to be usable (SA RPC, 42MB) ?
>
> Markus and myself have built Cryptozilla with the full motif front end.
> It's very stable, and as soon as I re-link Markus' port with a static
> Motif library, it'll be uploaded for all. Performance is fine (well a
> damn site better than Fresco and !Browse anway, when I last looked) on
> StrongARM.

Maybe it's just my system then, but I've never come across *any* "serious" X
aplication on RiscBSD that has better performance than an equivalent running
on RISC OS. (xmosaic, xv, nedit, any of the KDE apps etc)

Performance here meaning speed and responsiveness.

I 'only' have 24MB RAM and 2 420MB HD's on the internal IDE interface. Would
more RAM/faster HD+interface improve things?

Have fun

Joe
--
 __