Subject: Re: Getting on the net with RiscBSD
To: Coltman Timothy <timothy.coltman@unn.ac.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/01/1998 12:15:40
Coltman Timothy wrote:

> I intend to get connected to the net again ASAP from my RiscPC. I could
> use something like ANT's internet suite or the Acorn stuff but how easy
> is it to get connected using RiscBSD? Obviously you'll need an account at
> an ISP, internet software and the like (such as KDE), but what then? Or
> is it so complicated, it's not worth it?

Getting connected isn't too bad. I use ppp a dialup with Demon from
home, which is very straightforward. I type '/etc/ppp/ppp-on' to dial
up, I hit 'get mail' then 'send unsent messages' in my mailer, then I
type '/etc/ppp/ppp-off' to hang up. News is a bit more problematic; I
had to compile and build a program called leafnode when I wanted to use
it, but these days I don't bother with the newsgroups as the S/N ratio
is bad.

I found the networking, once I'd got it going, to be much better under
*BSD than under RiscOS. The ANT stuff was fine whilst it all worked, but
after moving it between networks and dialup a few times, trying to
handle multiple e-mail users etc, it all fell apart. The performance was
also dire---mainly due to the architecture of RiscOS I think (ie not
really anyone's fault 'cos of no multitasking or disc cache), not the
ANT software.

	N.