Subject: Re: Packages
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/28/1998 08:20:49
On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Stephen Potts wrote:

> How do you know that a tar/gzip file is indeed a NetBSD package ?

Normally because someone tells you it is :-)
Failing that, tar tvzf on it will list files like '+CONTENTS' '+COMMENT'
and so on.

> I have also recently installed 1.3Alpha and have all the distribution
> sets I wanted to install, but have now downloaded things like lesstif.
> Is this installed using the package install then ?

If you got lesstif from the 1.3-packages directory on ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk
then yes. The distribution sets can be installed with 'inst', but note
that there are 1.3 release and 1.3.1 binaries available from NetBSD
mirrors (like sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk, in /unix/NetBSD/NetBSD-blah/arm32.

--
alex@hayward.u-net.com; xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk