Subject: Re: KDE Downloaded, What Next ?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/28/1998 03:38:01
On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Syd Murray wrote:
> I am a novice trying to install KDE,  and needing much help.
>
> I have download the following from :-
> ftp://ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk/pub/acorn/RiscBSD/1.3-packages
>         kdebase-3.1b.tgz
>         kdekdesupport-3.1b.tgz
>         kdeutils-3.1b.tgz
>         kdegames-3.1b.tgz
>
> I then extracted them by running
> cat *.tgz | tar --unlink -C / -pzxvf -
> Which seemed to put a lot of files in /share and not in the /usr/X116.3/bin Directory.
> Did I do this correctly ?

No. Whilst these are indeed gzipped tar files they are also NetBSD
packages which you should install using the package commands. pkg_install
<file name> should do it. If you want to list the packages that you have
installed then type pkg_info and if you want to remove one then use
pkg_delete. See the manual pages for full details.

If your version of NetBSD isn't recent enough to have them (I can't
remember when they first appeared) then tell me and I can put mine online.

> Upon closer examination I have noticed,  especially in the /share/apps directory
> the majority of files are .xpm type.  Are these executable ?

No, they are bitmaps used under X.

> I have also read the HTML files in the /share/doc/HTML.en.kdehelp Directory,
> but they seem to assume that KDE is already intstalled.

Not surprising since you'd have to have installed them for them to be
there :-)

If you intend to run KDE then you'll need to have the QT libraries
installed, which is also available as a package from ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk.

--
alex@hayward.u-net.com; xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk