Subject: Re: RiscBSD???
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Justin Stringfellow - Sun UK <justin.stringfellow@UK.Sun.COM>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/23/1998 18:27:39
> Pardon...
>
> I'm a bit new around here -- I'm a NetBSD developer who's just started
> hacking ARM machines. I've always thought the name of the operating
> system was NetBSD. It seems the term "RiscBSD" is rather strongly
> embedded in the culture around here, but I'm rather surprised at the
> usage. All other NetBSD ports are known like NetBSD/Alpha,
> NetBSD/hp300, NetBSD/i386, etc.
>
> Perry

Welcome to the world of Acorn, Perry.
As always, we like to go tantalisingly close to complete compatability with
everyone else, and then stop short (try fitting normal simms to a RiscPC,
or maybe an IDE disk, for a good illustration). It helps us pretend we can
look down on other platforms from our ivory tower while in reality they are
sneaking further away into the distance...
If I were you I'd just ignore us like everyone else. It does work.

           /\
          \\ \            Justin Stringfellow
         \ \\ /           OS Support Engineer
        / \/ / /
       / /   \//\         Sun Microsystems Ltd.
       \//\   / /         Watchmoor Park, Camberley, England
        / / /\ /
         / \\ \           E-mail: justin.stringfellow@uk.sun.com
          \ \\            Phone:  (01276) 416562
           \/             Fax:    (01276) 416682