Subject: Re: RiscBSD???
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/23/1998 18:18:12
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Pardon...
>
> I'm a bit new around here -- I'm a NetBSD developer who's just started
> hacking ARM machines. I've always thought the name of the operating
> system was NetBSD. It seems the term "RiscBSD" is rather strongly
> embedded in the culture around here, but I'm rather surprised at the
> usage. All other NetBSD ports are known like NetBSD/Alpha,
> NetBSD/hp300, NetBSD/i386, etc.

Hi Perry,

'RiscBSD' was the project we worked on a few years ago to port some sort
of unix to the Acorn RiscPC machines. We chose NetBSD (over Linux, Mach
et al) and ported it. At the time there was also Arch-BSD, which was a
FreeBSD port by Gary Palmer. We finished, Arch-BSD didn't :) I guess the
long term plan is to let the RiscBSD name slowly dwindle into just
NetBSD/arm32 now, but we'll see how things go. We distribute RiscBSD on
CD ROMs to Acorn users still (=NetBSD/arm32 + Rob Black's X-server)
although the long term goal is to move over to the X in the NetBSD tree,
nwscons and all the other MI stuff in the end anyway (though this will
probably take a while).

Makes it as cleas as mud?

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com