Subject: fp timing
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: ct <turnbull@xserver.sjc.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/22/1998 13:17:33
Hiya

I was just mucking around with my C version of 1st (stats program from SSS),
and finally compiled the latest version under RiscBSD. The lack of an FPU
for (most) Acorns has been crippling this software's speed, and irritated
me no end.

I'd performed a few speed trials with a simple test (generating the
correlation matrix and probablities for eight columns of (what is
found to be) 236 data points).

(RiscOS BASIC)  20secs
RiscOS C	36 secs
Pentium 166	~1 sec
PC card		1-2 sec

As you can see, RO was slowing up something silly. So I was somewhat
impressed when RiscBSD came in at about 1 sec, using soft fp. Many
congrats people!

Can we get this to link against properly under Acorn C properly?
Please??? (Hmm, is RJW reading this list? he was working on it...)

regards, ct