Subject: Power-tec: cannot disklabel Quantum Maverick 540S
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/19/1998 17:30:02
I am about to migrate from 1.3_ALPHA to 1.3.1, and therefore I want
to make a copy of my 1.3_ALPHA installation onto another set of
drives, a Quantum Maverick 540S and a couple of CDC 94221-209
drives configured as a ccd.

When I installed 1.3_ALPHA on my HP C3325A 2 GB drive, I had no
problems, but now, when I try the same on my Quantum Maverick 540S,
I do.

I have done exactly the same thing on both, but now it doesn't
work:
Labelling disk sd1...sd1: No disk label
Initializing root filesystem and mounting...
/dev/rsd1a: 441600 sectors in 1200 cylinders of 4 tracks, 92 sectors
            215.6MB in 75 cylinder groups (16 c/g, 2.88 MB/g, 704 i/g)
Superblock backups (for -b #) at: ...
newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): No such process
newfs: /dev/rsd1a: can't write disk label
sd1: no disk label
mount_ffs: /dev/sd1a on /mnt: device not configured.

This is on an Alsystems Power-tec SCSI-2 with the latest firmware
(1998-01-22), and the only difference I have been able to see is
that the 6 last partitions on the Quantum is set to RiscOs: instead
of Empty: as on the HP. This should not matter since the second one
is set to Empty:.

The RPCINST kernel I used was the one on the 1.3_ALPHA CD
(# 0 I think). I have not tried a later install kernel.

I can provide the disktab and dmesg output on demand.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/