Subject: Re: RISC OS/RiscBSD file transfer, Power-tec problem w/UnixFS
To: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/19/1998 15:21:43
On Wed 11 Mar, Andrew McMurry wrote:

> I have an alternative to UnixFS: a program that runs under Unix and can
> read filecore partitions. I am currently implementing it as a BSD filing
> system (read only to start with), but if anyone urgently wants a user-mode
> (ie non-kernel) program to copy files from their RISC OS partitions under
> RiscBSD, I can produce one. This may help installing RiscBSD on low memory
> computers.

Yes, please. I very much want a user-mode program.

This will be very helpful to me since this means that I can access
the information on NetBSD I have stored on the RISC OS side while
in NetBSD. One of these things is of course the mail to the mailing
lists and all that stuff.

The really helpful thing would be when/if I could transfer large
files from NetBSD to RISC OS. This would let me generate my ISO
images in NetBSD and then program those files onto CD using the
software I have in RISC OS (CDScribe2 and CDBurn).

Actually, when the FS is ready, I could then use mkisofs in
NetBSD to make RISC OS CDs as well.

The problem I am having is that UnixFS still does not work with
Power-tec, and I only have IDE harddrives of 200 MB or less. The
ISO images are typically 500 MB in size.

Scott, when are you going to make UnixFS work on Power-tec?
(He knows, or should know, the problems I have.)

Are there anyone out there that for some reason manage to make
UnixFS work on a Power-tec SCSI-2? If so, how do you do it?
I am using the latest firmware (1998-01-22) , and I am not going back!

I have checked the latest bootloader archive on ftp.netbsd.org, and
it is still the same that was included with 1.3_ALPHA.

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/