Subject: Re: audio drivers (was Re: The mouse *MOVES*...)
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Kim G. S. \yhus <kim@iq.pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/12/1998 09:54:20
> On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Chris Gilbert wrote:
>
> On systems with 16bit sound it is not possible to get 8bit sound out of
> the system as the 8bit audio path is overidden on machines with 16bit
> upgrades and probably doesn't even exist on the machines that came with
> 16bit sound by default. As I understand the VIDC20 sound system you are
> doing the right thing by converting the samples from 8 bit to 16 bit.

It is possible to convert both ways. In my program, !HiFiArch,
16bit sound is played on an 8bit archimedes soundsystem, with
quality comparable to NICAM. !HiFiArch also contains code that
turns log 8bit sound into 16bit sound, as part of a feedback
loop.

You may get it at Hensa, and it also contains source code.

Kim0