Subject: Further problems with X / kde after upgrade to 1.3
To: ARM32 Port <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Barrass [RISCBSD] <riscbsd@knight-soft.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/10/1998 22:50:05
Hi,

I'm still having problems getting my installation of X and kde to run on
my RISC PC after upgrading to 1.3

X does seem to start okay, but...

Currently, if (as root) I run the kdm and login as one of the users, I get
the error dialog:

   	/usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole exited with non-zero status.

which as was pointed out in a reply to a previous post, tries to chown
the /dev/console to be the current user.

If I run xdm and try to login as the same user as under the kdm, the screen
goes blank and I return to the xdm login screen :-(

the user's $HOME/.xsession simply contains:

startkde

The xdm-errors file contains:

Initial console: 0
RiscBSD X Server #33 (Acorn Show)
width = 1024, height = 768, depth = 8
mmap(0, c4000, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) = 102b8000
8bpp palette
8bpp palette
Black = 1, White = 0
InitInput() not finishedAbout to mieqInit()
Mouse fd: 6
Mouse on.
8bpp palette
8bpp palette
8bpp palette
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
RiscBSD X Server #33 (Acorn Show)
width = 1024, height = 768, depth = 8
mmap(0, c4000, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) = 1037c000
Black = 1, White = 0
InitInput() not finishedAbout to mieqInit()
Mouse fd: 6
Mouse on.
8bpp palette
8bpp palette
8bpp palette

I'm at a little loss for what to try next (I've re-installed the X11 sets
and the kde packages).

Any help would be much apprecitated... has anyone being able to use the kde
with/without using the kdm to launch it.

Thanks in advance,

	Richard

--
Richard J N Barrass BSc.