Subject: audio drivers (was Re: The mouse *MOVES*...)
To: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/10/1998 19:23:38
In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.980410073543.12972E-100000@riscbsd5.client.nc.com> you wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, David wrote:
>
> > > Out of curiosity does the lmcaudio driver work on the A7000+? (This
> > > would be useful for the work I'm doing on the audio driver...)
>
> I don't believe the lmcaudio will work on the A7000+. The lmcaudio driver
> is for the lmc1982 which was the codec used on the VLSI RC7500 eval board.
> Off hand I don't know what codec Acorn used.

Ah, so it's totally irrelevant to the rpc, a7000+ etc?  So hopefully the
vidc driver will work on that...

> > Err.  Don't know.  The beep sounds atrocious, if that's any help?  Can you
> > recommend a way to test this?
>
> Are you play 8 bit waveforms into 16 bit sound. The default waveform for
> the beep device is 8 bit as that was created before 16 bit sound existed
> on the RPC.

Yep, it is...

> The audio drivers need overhaulling, anyone want to volenteer ? ;-)))

I've got a working driver, that works fine for 16 bit sound, but doesn't
work in 8bit mode, I think there's some additional hardware there that I
don't know about.

The 16 bit stuff seems to work for 8bit mono mulaw and 16bit stereo
linear in it's different formats. I've not got a beep device working at
present, the standard beep device clashes on the interrupt, my plan is
to get the beep into the vidcaudio driver, I've a few ideas but the
vidcaudio code is a mess and I lack samples to test the system, ie the
one I've got is converted by lots of conversion things, any suggestions
for where to find some would be appreciated.

Another problem is that the 8bit mulaw is emulated using the auconv
routines, however these make the overall sample size larger and this
size change is picked up by the high level audio driver, so I hope to be
able to use the 8bit mode on the vidc to do 8 bit mulaw, however I've
no idea what is done after the sound leaves the vidc as I get no
output...

If anyone can tell me whats on the end of the 8 bit system so I can get
it working I'd be grateful.

Anyway I plan to upload a RISCPC kernel with the vidcaudio driver in it
tommorow for people to try out.

Cheers,
Chris