Subject: Re: startx
To: David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/08/1998 16:06:30
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, David wrote:

> > 1) I don't have a /usr/X11R6.3 directory, but an X11R6.1 instead
>
> Oh.  This is odd, because I appear only to have a /usr/X11R6.3 directory.
> Where did you get your sets from?  Anyway, that explains the next point,
> because I had expected there to be a /usr/X11R6.3 directory in the
> instructions I gave.

What version of netbsd are you running - could you run 'uname -a' and mail
us the output ;-)

> > Some of that went over my head...I'm using 'root' as the logon name, so
> > what shell I am using?
>
> Sorry about that.  The shell is the program that provides you with the
> command prompt, accepts your commands and executes them.  There are
> several different types of shell.
>
> You can determine which one you're using by typing 'ps'.  This will give
> you a list of processes (programs)  that you're currently running.  One of
> these will be a shell, called "bash", "tcsh", "csh", "sh" or "ksh" or
> similar.

which shell you use is setup in the password file - you can find out by:

"finger <username>" (in your case root)
"echo $SHELL" - the prefered way of doing it
"grep <username> /etc/passwd" - mixed in with all the other stuff

you can change your shell by running "chsh" (which is safer than editing the
password file directly) - note that by default this command uses vi as it's
editor - if you object to vi set the environment vairable EDITOR to your
favorite editor:

for csh based shells (csh tcsh etc.)
"setenv EDITOR /usr/local/bin/jmacs" (or whatever)

for sh based shells (sh ksh bash zsh etc.)

"EDITOR=/usr/local/bin/jmacs"
"export EDITOR"

--
Jasper Wallace                  Argo Interactive Unix Systems support