Subject: Re: startx
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <alex@hayward.u-net.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/07/1998 22:18:43
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Marc Warne wrote:
> In message <Pine.SOL.3.95q.980406215144.4727A-100000@red.csi.cam.ac.uk>
>           David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > It is indeed.  This is the symbolic link.  If you cd to /usr/X11R6, you'll
> > find that you're effectively in the /usr/X11R6.3 directory, although it
> > appears to be called something else.
>
> Hmm....
>
> 1) I don't have a /usr/X11R6.3 directory, but an X11R6.1 instead

You have an old distribution. You quite possibly have statically linked
binaries too (which take up loads more space).

> 2) When I cd to X11R6, it says something along the lines of file not found

It would... You need to link to X11R6.1, not .3.

> > Try jmacs as the actual command name - that's what I use.  I'm not quite
> > sure how it's all supposed to hang together, but it appears to work.
>
> Nope - 'jmacs: Command not found' :-(

Does /usr/local/bin/jmacs exist? Does 'man joe' or 'man jmacs' work?

> > > Sorta did...X still won't run though! For some reason, when I type
> > > 'bin/startx' in the '/usr/X11R6.1' directory, it says 'xinit: Command
> > > not found'. Hmmm....
> >
> > Try typing startx in your home directory (cd ~ to get to it).  If you then
> > get 'startx: Command not found', as I suspect you will then this is
> > because /usr/X11R6/bin needs to be added to you PATH variable.  To do this
> > you need to edit a file depending on which shell you are using.  If you're
> > using bash, then it's .profile that you want.  If you're using csh, then
> > it's .cshrc.  (Both in your home directory.)  There should be a line
> > specifying the PATH variable.  Just add /usr/X11R6/bin to that line,
> > noting that each part of the PATH variable is separate by a :
>
> Some of that went over my head...I'm using 'root' as the logon name, so
> what shell I am using?
>
> /root/.profile already has /usr/X11R6/bin in the $PATH.

Right. With the correct link in place things ought to work...

> > PS - If this doesn't work then you'd probably be best reinstalling all the
> > X sets.
>
> What? For the 10th time?!?! ;-)

If you've got more recent X sets it might be worth installing those
instead?