Subject: Re: startx
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Warne <marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/07/1998 18:43:38
In message <Pine.SOL.3.95q.980406215144.4727A-100000@red.csi.cam.ac.uk>
          David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > OK - I just done that. I think it just created a new file called 'X11R6'.
> > Is it supposed to do that?
>
> It is indeed.  This is the symbolic link.  If you cd to /usr/X11R6, you'll
> find that you're effectively in the /usr/X11R6.3 directory, although it
> appears to be called something else.

Hmm....

1) I don't have a /usr/X11R6.3 directory, but an X11R6.1 instead
2) When I cd to X11R6, it says something along the lines of file not found

> > Hmm...I'm certain joe was installed with my other sets...but typing 'joe'
> > makes a 'joe: Command not found' error :-(
>
> Try jmacs as the actual command name - that's what I use.  I'm not quite
> sure how it's all supposed to hang together, but it appears to work.

Nope - 'jmacs: Command not found' :-(

> > Sorta did...X still won't run though! For some reason, when I type
> > 'bin/startx' in the '/usr/X11R6.1' directory, it says 'xinit: Command
> > not found'. Hmmm....
>
> Try typing startx in your home directory (cd ~ to get to it).  If you then
> get 'startx: Command not found', as I suspect you will then this is
> because /usr/X11R6/bin needs to be added to you PATH variable.  To do this
> you need to edit a file depending on which shell you are using.  If you're
> using bash, then it's .profile that you want.  If you're using csh, then
> it's .cshrc.  (Both in your home directory.)  There should be a line
> specifying the PATH variable.  Just add /usr/X11R6/bin to that line,
> noting that each part of the PATH variable is separate by a :

Some of that went over my head...I'm using 'root' as the logon name, so
what shell I am using?

/root/.profile already has /usr/X11R6/bin in the $PATH.

> Then logout and log back in again to force the changes to be read in, and
> you should be okay.  (Hopefully!)

Still didn't work!!

> PS - If this doesn't work then you'd probably be best reinstalling all the
> X sets.

What? For the 10th time?!?! ;-)

All the best,

        Marc Warne