Subject: Re: startx
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Warne <marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/06/1998 18:25:08
In message <Pine.SOL.3.95q.980405111142.12614A-100000@red.csi.cam.ac.uk>
          David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > I've been trying to get the command 'startx' to work, but it won't.
> > Usually, when I type it in, it says 'startx: Command not found', but if I
> > try it in the /usr/X11R6.1 directory, and type 'bin/startx', it says
> > 'xinit: Command not found'. Now - I think this is a problem with my $PATH
> > variable in my
>
> If yours installed itself anything like mine, it's cheerfully got
> /usr/X11R6/bin in the PATH, whilst the directories are blatently
> /usr/X11R6.1/bin and /usr/X11R6.3/bin.  I figured it was easiest to create
> a symbolic link from /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.3. (Use ln -s /usr/X11R6.3
> /usr/X11R6)

OK - I just done that. I think it just created a new file called 'X11R6'. Is
it supposed to do that?

> > root .profile. Can someone please tell me how to edit this. I've tried
> > 'chmod'ding it by doing 'chmod a+rw .profile', but when trying to edit it
> > from RISC OS, it still complains about file permissions. If there is no
>
> I'm not sure (never tried it), but I think the directory has to be chmod
> a+rw as well.

Cool! That worked! :-)

> > way to edit it from RISC OS, could you please tell me how to edit in
> > UNIX?
>
> Well, the default editor that comes with most UNIX systems is vi.  Some of
> my best friends swear by it.... however, joe (downloadable as a set from
> the RiscBSD site) I find to be much more user friendly - it's operation is
> fairly self-explanatory. Once you've got X running reliably you might want
> to take a look at xemacs.

Hmm...I'm certain joe was installed with my other sets...but typing 'joe'
makes a 'joe: Command not found' error :-(

> Hope this helps,

Sorta did...X still won't run though! For some reason, when I type
'bin/startx' in the '/usr/X11R6.1' directory, it says 'xinit: Command
not found'. Hmmm....

All the best,

        Marc Warne
  / /\/\         \ e-mail: marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk  \-IRC #acorn meet-.