Subject: Re: startx
To: Marc Warne <marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk>
From: David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/05/1998 11:23:03
> I've been trying to get the command 'startx' to work, but it won't. Usually,
> when I type it in, it says 'startx: Command not found', but if I try it in
> the /usr/X11R6.1 directory, and type 'bin/startx', it says 'xinit: Command
> not found'. Now - I think this is a problem with my $PATH variable in my

If yours installed itself anything like mine, it's cheerfully got
/usr/X11R6/bin in the PATH, whilst the directories are blatently
/usr/X11R6.1/bin and /usr/X11R6.3/bin.  I figured it was easiest to create
a symbolic link from /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.3. (Use ln -s /usr/X11R6.3
/usr/X11R6)

> root .profile. Can someone please tell me how to edit this. I've tried
> 'chmod'ding it by doing 'chmod a+rw .profile', but when trying to edit it
> from RISC OS, it still complains about file permissions. If there is no

I'm not sure (never tried it), but I think the directory has to be chmod
a+rw as well.

> way to edit it from RISC OS, could you please tell me how to edit in UNIX?

Well, the default editor that comes with most UNIX systems is vi.  Some of
my best friends swear by it.... however, joe (downloadable as a set from
the RiscBSD site) I find to be much more user friendly - it's operation is
fairly self-explanatory. Once you've got X running reliably you might want
to take a look at xemacs.

Hope this helps,

David Forbes.

PS - What I did before I got joe, was to edit stuff in RISCOS and then
write it back to /public.  Then I rebooted RiscBSD and copied it to it's
destination.