Subject: Re: X & A7000+
To: ARM32 Port <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Barrass [RISCBSD] <riscbsd@knight-soft.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/03/1998 20:09:28
On Thu 02 Apr, David wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Having got RiscBSD installed on my A7000+ and running cheerfully for the
> past week or two, I thought I'd have a go at getting X up and running.
> I installed all the X sets from ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk, but when I typed
> "startx", part of the screen was obscured by multicoloured random pixels,
> and I was returned to the prompt.  This happens no matter what user I'm
> logged in as.  I eventually managed to capture the error output to a file,
> and this is what I found:

This sounds like a similar problem I'm having with my RISC PC (ARM710). I've
upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3 and installed the new 1.3 X11 sets and Xarm33.

> Anyone know what this means/how to fix it?  I've got an A7000+ with an
> extra 16Mb of RAM installed.  I've installed most of the 1.3-alpha
> distribution sets from ftp.ph.kcl and I'm running the A7000-cur-980322
> kernel.  In the bootloader, I've got the screen mode configured as X1024
> Y768 C256 F60 and 768K of Video DRAM configured.

I'm running VOYAGER-cur-980322 with the same (default) video settings. My
machine has got 12mb DRAM, 1mb VRAM.

if I run xdm I get a number of white flashes over the current tty and then
'normality' is returned. If I do a 'ps -aux' xdm is still running

If I use kdm I get the same results.

Any ideas please help ! - I really want to try some of the new stuff with
1.3

Cheers
	Richard

--