Subject: X & A7000+
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/02/1998 10:22:11
Dear All,

Having got RiscBSD installed on my A7000+ and running cheerfully for the
past week or two, I thought I'd have a go at getting X up and running.
I installed all the X sets from ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk, but when I typed
"startx", part of the screen was obscured by multicoloured random pixels,
and I was returned to the prompt.  This happens no matter what user I'm
logged in as.  I eventually managed to capture the error output to a file,
and this is what I found:

Initial console: 0
RiscBSD X Server #33 (Acorn Show)
width = 1024, height = 768, depth = 8
mmap(0, c4000, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) = ffffffff
mmap: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
mmap() of screen failed.

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Anyone know what this means/how to fix it?  I've got an A7000+ with an
extra 16Mb of RAM installed.  I've installed most of the 1.3-alpha
distribution sets from ftp.ph.kcl and I'm running the A7000-cur-980322
kernel.  In the bootloader, I've got the screen mode configured as X1024
Y768 C256 F60 and 768K of Video DRAM configured.

Thanks for your help,

David Forbes.