Subject: Re: Problems installing from cdrom
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/27/1998 18:45:04
In message <41efc32c48%marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk>
          Marc Warne <marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <E0yHzFw-0004pX-00@golden.argonet.co.uk>
>           martin.tee@argonet.co.uk (Martin Tee) wrote:
>
> > Now, step 26 says you need to edit the file /etc/rc.conf but as
> > I'm new to Unix I don't know how to do this so I ignore it and
> > try step 27 instead. ie. run the configuration manager with the
> > command /usr/local/sbin/rcm
> > I just get the reply 'not found'
> > If I then Halt and reboot and go back into NetBSD I don't get a
> > login prompt (should I?) and I can't find all the sets I've
> > supposedly installed.
>
> I had this problem - but then a kind person on the IRC told me this:
>
>    Try deselecting 'Single User'. You should then get the logon prompt
>    Login as 'root' with no password.
>
> rcm should now work! :-)

rcm doesn't change /etc/rc.conf AFAIK, and you can't boot into
multi-user without editing it. I found that single-user mode was so
restrictive the only editor I could use to change the file was ex so the
easiest thing to do is probably to

  chmod a+rw /etc/rc.conf

and edit it from RISC OS using UnixFS, remembering to change its
permissions back to something safer when you're back in BSD.

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/