Subject: Re: Problems installing from cdrom
To: None <martin.tee@argonet.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/26/1998 10:54:05
Martin Tee wrote:
> Now, step 26 says you need to edit the file /etc/rc.conf but as
> I'm new to Unix I don't know how to do this so I ignore it and
> try step 27 instead. ie. run the configuration manager with the
> command /usr/local/sbin/rcm

I think all is installed correctly and you just need to tweak afew things
before it will work. When you have completed the install you need to modify
the settings in !BtRiscBSD to use the RISCPC kernel rather than RPCINST.

Since you haven't edited /etc/rc.conf the system will not boot up fully but
will stop in single user mode after reporting an error.

At this point you need to do 'a mount -a' command to mount all the
partitions you created and use vi to edit /etc/rc.conf. You can check that
all is installed at this point by using ls -R to do a recursive listing of
the directory tree.
The minimum you need to change in rc.conf is to change the line which reads
rc_configured=NO to read rc_configured=YES.

If vi will not start you will need to set up the terminal type by typing:

export TERM=vt100

If you are not familiar with the way vi works (since its nothing like
!Edit,!Zap, etc) mail me and I'll try to put together enough information to
get you started.

HTH

Mike