Subject: Re: Slow joe.
To: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/26/1998 00:32:15
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, S.J. Borrill wrote:

> I've just installed 1.3 from ftp.netbsd.org and the RISCPC-current
> kernel from ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk. I've also added joe from the 1.3-alpha
> section of kcl. In X joe works fine, but at the standard console, it takes
> ages to redraw the screen. This is joe version 2.8.
>
> Any ideas? It also happens with the RISCPC kernel from ftp.netbsd.org.
Hi,
  This sounds you did not update you /etc/ttys file from the 1.3 etc
set but have updated your /etc/gettytab.

Older installations use to use a RPC tty type for getty and this had an
entry in /etc/getty tab. From 1.3_ALPHA onwards the Pc tty type should be
used. By the sound of it you have a newer gettytab but your /etc/ttys file
still has lines like

ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty RPC"        vt100   on secure

which should now be reading

ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure

If you have RPC in your ttys but not in your /etc/gettytab then you will
notice that things like joe draw the display very very slowly.

Cheers,
				Mark