Subject: Shared libraries
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Coltman Timothy <timothy.coltman@unn.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/25/1998 10:50:33
Hello, I'm new to this list, so I hope I'm sending the message to the
right place.

I'm running RiscBSD 1.3 Alpha on a 42mb SA-110, having installed it with
the CD-Rom. I'm very pleased with it but I'm having a problem with shared
libraries.

I downloaded the KDE set of programs from the net a while back, to try
and get a decent window manager and a few more decent apps because I
can't stand twm, fvwm and I wasn't too impressed with Afterstep or
WindowMaker. KDE is *very* good (URL is http://www.kde.org).

KDE gives you the option of building it either using shared libraries or
using static libraries, ie dynamic libraries versus bloody huge
executables. First, I tried to build the shared set, it seemed to compile
ok. Then I ran it and it didn't work. Pressed Alt-F1, and saw that it had
done loads of core dumps all over my harddisc. I added various paths to
the /etc/ld.so.conf file and ran ldconfig and tried again. The same happened.

Compiling with static libraries seemed to do the trick but when I type
'startx' at the command prompt, I have to wait about three minutes for
the program to load, which is very boring, to say the least.

I understand that the C/C++ compilers on 1.3 Alpha have a few bugs in
them when it comes to making shared libraries. How can I fix this? Is
there a patch I can download from the ftp://ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk site? I
tried to download a file called c++fix.tar.gz but that didn't make the
slightest difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Someone on the newsgroups suggested that I
download the comp.tar.gz file from ftp://ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk but as my disc
quota at uni is 1mb and the archive is 7mb it might be a bit difficult.

Cheers,
Tim