Subject: Re: su and groups...
To: Marc Theisen <arcmt@uni-koblenz.de>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/23/1998 14:38:58
--------------58E8E0A2DFE463951F1960E3

Marc Theisen wrote:

> No, I used rcm to define a user.

OK.

> Later on, I had to delete this entry in the files master.passwd and
> passwd several times in order to redefine the settings for this user.

Eeeek! You shouldn't edit these things directly, it's better to go via
the command vipw...

> > Are you definately in wheel in /etc/group? You need to be there, but the
> > user account doesn't have to be in wheel as it's default.
> >

> An env | grep group says that I am, but what does the above mean (well,
> I am not very confident with UNIX administration...)? Do I have to add
> the user to /etc/group?

Yep. Edit the file /etc/group. joe /etc/group, and aed the name of the
user who want to su to the line wheel. On my machine:

wheel:*:0:root,neil,neilwork

...is the top line of the file. So root can go to root (obviously), as
can neil and neilwork, but nobody else.

	Take care,

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com

begin:          vcard
fn:             Neil A. Carson
n:              Carson;Neil A.